A beautiful historic religious place of worship, Groeswen Chapel is set on the slopes of Mynydd Meio, overlooking Caerphilly. The Chapel is a grade 2* listed building of National interest, with a graveyard, which contains the remains of Wales most notable preachers, musicians and literary figures, earning the Chapel the title of 'Westminster Abbey of Wales'.
History of Groeswen:
Inspired by Hywel Harris of Trefecca, Groeswen was the location for the very first place of worship to be built in Wales in 1742 by the Methodists but, ten years later following a schism over doctrinal issues the Chapel became the centre of non conformity in the area.
It's first minister, ordained in 1752, was William Edwards known as the builder for both Worlds because not only did he tend his flock for 40 years but, during that period he also designed and built bridges, the most famous being the Pontypridd old Bridge across the Taf - the largest single plan bridge, then in existence.
A memorial tablet, designed by Sir William Goscombe John, located above the pulpit, commemorates William Edwards remarkable achievements.
The influence of non conformity in moulding the Welsh character was profound - not only from its religious aspect, but in the field of education and in the general social life of the communities served by it's chapels.
By 1789 Groeswen's membership had reached 100 and by 1820 had expanded to 294. Congregations for Sunday morning services would arrive on foot, horseback or by carriage from as far afield as Leckwith, Penarth and Merthyr as well as from the surrounding villages of Senghenydd and Abertridwr. The present chapel seating 600, dates from 1874 but the adjoining vestry, with it's horse mounting block, was part of the original 1742 Methodists' Meeting Place, or 'New House' as it was known.
Groeswen has always been used for Eisteddfodau, lectures and concerts, as well as for religious worships, and it is this mix of uses, for the benefit of the community and visitors, which will be encouraged by its Trustees upon completion of all restoration.
The Chapel will also house a permanent display of its historic records.
For further information or to arrange to visit the Chapel contact:
Mr. Peter Jones - Chairman of the Trustees on 02920 882245 or
Mrs.June Evans - Treasurer on 02920 884018.
Admission to the Chapel is free
Normal daylight hours throughout the year, upon request